Health Care Systems
- Member of 2013 Grand Prize winning team at Stanford University Medical Center StartX Med Innovation Challenge (www.startxmed.com).
- Guided technical systems development for issuing and accepting a unique private label credit card combined with Kaiser Permanente’s health plan membership ID card, from business systems analysis and requirements definition through development, testing and deployment. Supported the initial launch in two Regions encompassing over 40 clinics and hospitals serving more than 500,000 health plan members, including troubleshooting of credit card terminal operational issues in the clinics. Coordination with Kaiser’s roll-out of its HealthConnect Electronic Medical Record infrastructure was part of the project.
- As a Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician, provided respiratory care to patients and conducted related medical laboratory analyses in Intensive Care Units at hospitals in Chicago, Pittsburgh, and the Los Angeles area.
- Led teams to implement PayPal's new In-Store Checkout technology at stores like Toys"R"Us, Dollar General, and Abercrombie & Fitch.
- Guided the development and implementation of enhancements to Kaiser Permanente's Electronic Payments Switch that routes transactions to credit card processors.
- Negotiated contracts, defined technical solutions, and guided implementation for Apple’s Online Store and Retail global expansion projects in more than 15 countries in Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
- Worked with Apple's IT and operations groups to reduce fraud and chargebacks, minimizing not only financial losses, but also the labor needed to investigate and resolve cases.
- Supported First Data’s ten-fold growth in Internet merchant accounts and 300% increase in e-commerce transaction volume over a three-year period, by qualifying and implementing more than 30 third-party payment gateways and certifying 10 vendor software applications.
- Organized dozens of association meetings to facilitate education and networking among hundreds of industry professionals, through organizations such as BayPay and The Software Development Forum.
- Created ViVOtech’s field service program for deploying and maintaining readers for contactless credit cards at retail stores throughout North America.
- Conducted field support for the MasterCard PayPass and American Express ExpressPay contactless payment cards pilot projects, plus handheld device payments for Sprint, and combined building access/payment cards for Cisco.
- Protected the security of millions of credit card numbers stored on behalf of Apple’s customers by coordinating IT and business team efforts to achieve domestic and international compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and managing Level I assessments by a Qualified Security Assessor.
- Participated in PCI Security Standards Council's review and enhancement of the PCI DSS as a representative of a Participating Organization.
- Registered Civil Engineer
- Pioneered use of commercial online services and the Internet to obtain business, regulatory and technical information for the environmental industry, saving time and improving accuracy.
- Managed environmental, health and safety regulatory compliance for a major petroleum pipeline company with pipelines, pumping stations, terminals, and offices in ten states, preventing incidents, avoiding fines, and protecting the company’s name.
- Developed a web-based Geographic Information System software application for researching hazardous waste site locations, speeding up the process of preliminary environmental assessments for real estate transactions.
- Assembled practical guidance documents for the California Department of Health Services to help small businesses minimize their hazardous waste.
- Conducted environmental impact analyses and site selection studies for electric power generating and transmission facilities.
- Investigated dozens of sites with contaminated soil and ground water, including laboratory analyses, laboratory data quality management, and data modeling. Also guided use of treatment technologies to conduct cleanups.